Search This Blog

Monday 29 July 2013

JOHN’S BLUE MOUNTAINS BLOG (NEW SOUTH WALES AUSTRALIA): AN INTRODUCTION

“Once I was young and now I’m old”. Well, getting older.
My love for the Blue Mountains of NSW began when I was very young. There used to be a family photo (taken at Govett’s Leap Lookout at Blackheath) in which I was about 5. Sadly, it seems to have vanished. But the memories have not.

Dad, Grandma and Mum - Blackheath 1957
My mother’s family were regular visitors to the mountains from Sydney and it’s not surprising that my parents continued the tradition. So have I, and my children and their children love the place too. Grandma Hayward in particular was a great inspiration to me, especially now that I realise that I am now around the same age she was in this photograph, taken in 1957.

When I reached the age of 70 a little while ago, Sue and I decided to move to the area. This Blog is all about how we are enjoying the Blue Mountains and Central West regions and, health permitting, hope to continue to do so for many years ahead.
The writer at Katoomba Falls caravan park 1958
We plan to take you along with us on many walks on the basis that if I can do them and enjoy them, so might you. Don’t be surprised to see none of the more difficult walks such as the Blue Gum Forest in the Grose Valley or Mt Solitary as I reckon they just might be a bit too much for me now.
We’ll also visit picnic areas, parks, lookouts and places of geological interest (another passion of mine). To make the most of the experience, you should subscribe to my You Tube channel here . I have four playlists - on gemstone fossicking in the New England district, one about Glen Innes (where we formerly lived), one on the Blue Mountains and one on New Zealand. 
You might also be interested in my other Blog here , which deals with fossicking and mineral deposits around Glen Innes.
John and Sue at Govett's Leap Lookout Blackheath 2007
Sue and I are looking forward to sharing some of our outings with you. We would be glad to hear from you by way of comments both here and on You Tube.

At Hinkler Park Katoomba 2009


The new generations. Blackheath 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment